Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 15, 2010

My name is Sarah.

S-A-R-A-H. Yes, it has an "h" on the end. My mother named me. My sister-in-law, who has known me for over 13 years now, continues to spell it without the "h", even in replies to e-mails and on Facebook when it's right there in front of her. On our wedding card or other cards, etc., she always spells it "Sara" -- we even lived with her for 6 months back in the day.

It bothers me when people don't notice little details like that. I am very observant and heck, it bothers me when people spell other people's names wrong!

How should I approach this? Should I just let it go? How do I nicely approach this after all these years? I don't want to come off as a bitch, but it bothers me that she doesn't take the time to care.

2 comments:

Carrie R. said...

My husband and I knew each other for almost 3 years before we got married. I had met his family a few times and since we had a long distance relationship for a while, he used to always talk about me to his family. After we got married my sister-in-law wrote on cards and packages sent to us "Karen". Why after she has called me by my correct name in the past and after I had sent cards with "Carrie" clearly written on it, I'll never know. I think we let it go and she has since used my correct name.
But after 13 years, you'd think someone would pick up on that one. I agree with you, it's irratating when someone can't get someone else's name correct. I don't know if you can tease her about it and simply make a joke into it. Hopefully she'll pick up on it and remember how to spell your name right. If not, maybe get your husband to mention something to her, even if it's in a joking manner.

Elana Kahn said...

I think you should just say something like "hey, did you know I spell my name with an H at the end?" Make it sound like it's an innocent question and maybe she'll get the point. People have been pronouncing and spelling my name wrong since I was born, so I'm especially sensitive to it. My kids won't have a problem with that when they're in their Jewish day schools, but in the "real world" I can only imagine what it's going to be like...