Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Best and worst Christmas songs?

I love this time of year. I always have. The snow puts me in a holiday mood and once Thanksgiving is gone, I'm all Christmas all the time, especially when it comes to the tunes I play in my car. It's one month where I can enjoy all the classics, as well as the modern stuff.

I will start with my list of the worst Christmas songs. These are ones where when I hear them come on, I will change the station or hit the "CD" button to change the song immediately:

Worst songs:

  1. The Christmas Shoes (by NewSong, 2000) -- can a song make me want to kill myself more? I can't stand the song or the guy's voice. If Country Music and The Christmas music station got together and made a baby, this would be it. WORST SONG EVER, CHRISTMAS OR ANY GENRE!
  2. I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (by John Coctoasten and performed by Gayla Peevey, 1953): Wow. Yeah, this song is just really annoying and I don't know if it's the lyrics or the lady's voice. I seriously say, "Aaah!" when it comes on and quick change the station.
  3. The Chipmunks: "Hula Hoop" -- simply annoying; nothing more and nothing less.
  4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Bruce Springsteen, 1981) -- I just can't stand the laughing during the song; it really irks me. It's a crappy rendition of an okay song, at best.

Best songs:

  1. We Three Kings/God Rest Ye' Merry Gentlemen (Barenaked Ladies feat. Sarah McLachlan, 2004) -- this song is AWESOME! It's beautiful because it's simply an acoustic guitar and then the voices come in and it's a really nice compilation of the two songs. Sarah has a beautiful voice and the song is perfect just the way it is. I have talked to many friends who agree that this song rocks.
  2. O Holy Night (traditional) -- a classic that has never disappointed. I especially like the Manheim interpretation.
  3. Carol of the Bells (Manheim Steamroller version, 1990, "A Fresh Aire" CD) -- how can one NOT get in the holiday spirit while listening to this?
  4. Christmas Canon (Trans-siberian Orchestra, 2004, "The Lost Christmas Eve" CD) -- this song is beautiful, and genius. Brilliant! The classic melody, normally a wedding favorite, contrasts very well with the voices of the children. My mom and I love this song and turn it up so much that the speakers vibrate in the car.

It bothers me that I only have four in each list, because even numbers bother me, but there you go. I'm sure some will agree and some will disagree, but this is the time of year when we can state our opinions and everyone is all jolly and happy so they just smile and say, "Happy holidays"!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

My husband loves the Christmas shoes song. I don't really care one way or the other. I totally agree with you on the Bruce Springsteen song though.

I love all your choices of favorite songs. Those are some of my favorites too!!

Molly said...

What about Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey? Or is that just an east coast thing? I don't even think they do it here in PA.

I like your favorite ones too!

Carrie R. said...

I have to agree with Christmas Shoes. It was sweet the first couple times I heard it, now it's like listening to nails down a chalkboard. But at the top of my worst Christmas songs is Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. Seriously, can this song be anymore despressing? And my husband is with you on Bruce Springsteen.

My favorite Chistmas song is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by the Carpenters, though I like your top picks too.

Jennifer Jean said...

I was going to put the worst is same auld lang syne and I see someone else agrees. Just because they meet at Christmas Eve it doesn't make it a Christmas song. I wish our radio station would realize that. I hate that song!

I love pretty much any transiberian Orchestra especially Christmas Cannon!

Sarah said...

@ Logical Mommy: I will have to take a listen to that song. I have heard OF it but I don't know if I've actually heard it.