Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 18, 2008

Weaning...

The dreaded word. Andrew turns one on August 25th. That's a little over a month away. My GOAL was to have him finished with his daily breastfeeding from me (because currently his schedule is: 7:30a, 12:00p, 4:15p, 8:00p, 3a) so I realize that it might be hard to cut some of the evening/night feedings down. I want him to be on breastmilk until he is one, and maybe a tad longer. He knows the sippy cup brings drink, but I really don't know if he's going to sit and down 4 ounces of Momma milk from it in one sitting. He usually just chews on the nubby part (and yes, I have the valve out because Andrew isn't interested in sucking out of the cup and I want him to learn that cup = pour not cup = suck).

Any other breastfeeding moms have advice for what worked for them? Oh, and I have a ton of milk in my deep freezer, so I have that to use up (I'd like to use up what I can, whatever is still good, and then switch to whole cow's milk).

All of this garble translated: my baby is addicted to the boob. Help!

2 comments:

Kaci said...

I am in the process of weaning Scarlett. I've cut out one session so far - she gets a sippy cup with breastmilk. Like you, I have quite a freezer stash & I think it would be dumb not to use it up first. She loves the boob and wants to nurse even after she drinks from the cup. I usually try to distract her with toys, books, and play because I can't stand to let her cry. Days that are really bad I usually cave a couple of hours after she has the cup & let her nurse a little. I was hoping you'd have some other comments/advice that could help me too! Good luck!

Molly said...

I figure that I have no reason to work at stopping a behavior that will end on its own eventually...

I also have a freezer stash and once David goes to the sitter's house in the fall, we might send a bottle a day, just so that he has a bit. He was used to having bottles while he was home with Daddy.

And really, Sarah, is he only nursing 5 times a day? I've pretty much stopped counting how often David nurses. He eats 3 meals a day at the table and sometimes has little snacks too, but he is a booby monster.