Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I am alive, folks!

Life kind-of took hold of me and I've just been so busy with everything: home, work, and elsewhere. I'll give you a quick update.

For Andrew, we are not ready to take the step and sign him up for surgery until we know he needs it. I called to get him into the sleep lab, but they said they "don't normally do those on kids". Anyway, they sent me a sleep survey to complete so I've been doing that every night -- I keep track of the time he goes to bed, how long he sleeps for, whether or not he gets up ("up" is if he is awake for more than 2 minutes in a 1/2 hour period), if he snores, whether or not he takes a nap during the day, if he talks in his sleep, etc. He does all these things; however, I don't know how in the world I am to track all this when I need to sleep as well! I cannot do it and I don't know how this "log" is going to be accurate. I am to bring it with to the October 1st appointment he has with the neurologist (not sure why neurologist, but that's where they have me taking him). From what I can gather in my research, most children who undergo this surgery (tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy for sleep apnea) have already undergone a sleep study in a sleep lab. Our clinic has the aforementioned lab so I don't know why they won't just have him go there, but I would imagine it boils down to money. So, we wait. This is, after all, an elective surgery --yet, if it will improve his sleep quality we want to get it down. However, putting a 3-year-old (and one that weighs just 31 lbs, at that) under general anesthesia is a big deal and neither of us want to do that unless it's going to help.

What else is going on? Elise has been crawling for the past 2 weeks -- actually crawling on not just scooting! She also sits (not tripod sitting, but sitting straight up and not tipping). She's doing very well for 6 months. We are still delaying solids -- in no rush and if you look at the girl, you will see she's not starving or anything (I love that people try and push me to do solids, like I'm in any hurry to make her grow up)! At this stage, solids are more for practice than nutritional value, and the more "good stuff" (i.e., breastmilk) she continues to receive, the better. I do plan on going 2 years with her like I did with Andrew, if not a little longer (another taboo subject. However, the World Health Organization recommends 2 years and beyond as long as mutually desired).

Saturday night, I have a mini-class reunion (12 years) this weekend at a local festival in my hometown (which shall remain nameless -- I don't want weird random locals finding my blog -- I try and keep this private from people I know "in real life" -- yes, you people are amongst the elite who get to read this, so feel special!). I am pretty excited. My mom is going to watch the kids for 2-3 hours so we can go have some drinks (my hubby more than me -- I'll have 1 or 2 so I can be the designated driver and feed my baby when we get back). Social Husband is quite different than Everyday Husband. He is normally quiet (unless he knows you, then he won't shut-up), but when he's under the influence, he's really funny and he dances and makes everyone laugh. I got to witness this at the wedding I was in a few weeks back. Quite the party that was.

I got my birds (two cockatiels I have) a HUGE new bird cage and it arrived today. It weighs 95 lbs., so very heavy duty. I ordered it because Andrew keeps getting into their cages they have now and I'm sick of cleaning seeds off the floor and those cages are more rinky-dink. The new one measures 24W" by 24D" by 33"H plus it has a playtop that adds even more to the height -- including the stand, it's 5'8", which is how tall I am. Pretty fancy! And it should be for $270. Anyway, my girls will then move to the living room. Because I will now have a ton of room, I am looking at taking in 1 or 2 more (female = no breeding) birds and I'm going this weekend to look at birds this lady is re-homing. The one I'm most excited about is a 1-year-old cinnamon pearl pied who is very tame. I like being a "bird person" because we don't have to deal with dog or cat fur, we don't have to clean shit out of the yard or take care of a litter box, and birds are very easy to take care of. Plus, they're adorable and like their heads scratched and mine even like to snuggle. I have been a bird owner for almost 20 years; in fact, my older tiel is almost 17.

My grandma has been admitted to the hospital with blood clot in her leg -- she is expected to be there 4-5 days (either through tomorrow or the next day now) -- she is receiving Heparin via IV and will be sent home on coumadin. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She was admitted to the hospital on her 72nd birthday, of all days. She has Alzheimer's (end stage) so it's a sad situation all around. However, she's going to recover from this -- I am confident she will be okay. It's hard seeing your grandmother go from this sweet, smiling lady who gives tons of kisses to a confused (still cute) lady who doesn't know you anymore. Alzheimer's runs in our family so if you are looking to donate to a cause, please think of the Alzheimer's Association!

Last but not least, my mom and I are looking, once again, for the medallion for another local festival (which also shall remain nameless for security purposes) -- this is for the BIG celebration that comes to town every year and spans 2 weekends. People come from afar to stay in this town and drink, eat brats, and be merry -- but mostly to drink. The medallion search is so much fun and we do it just for the fun of it, but it would also be nice to receive the prize: $500 cash plus other prizes.

So, that's my brief update that turned into quite a wordy one. Have a great weekend!

No comments: